PCMA is launching a naming contest for our real-time music collaboration app project.
- A winner will be chosen for someone to come up with a creative name for the app
- Prize is a choice of $25 Starbucks or $50 Tom Lee Music gift card
- Name of the app will be a registered commercial trademark, which cannot be used by another company in the music industry
- Contest Deadline: November 8, 2020
PCMA Real-Time Music Collaboration App
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, countless musicians stopped playing in person to exercise physical distancing. Instead, many turn to online apps like Zoom but found the experience to be subpar due to latency and audio issues.
Over the last few months, PCMA has assembled a technical team to design an app that would allow musicians to collaborate, teach and practice music in real-time like they do in person. It has also learned that the imminent 5G mobile network rolled-out in Canada and elsewhere in the world will finally, for the first time, cut down network latency drastically so a real-time remote music collaboration app can be a viable reality.
Certain features of the app include:
- Full duplex sound (ability for the sound to travel both ways simultaneously)
- Minimal latency to facility musicians collaborating online in real time
- 5G connectivity (when it becomes available) on mobile devices
- Special features such as built in metronome, variable audio and video optimization
PCMA anticipates to launch the app in early spring, late summer 2021